Well, I about gave myself a heart attack tonight on my graveyard. I went through and started deleting things from my root directory, i.e. my old moveable type install, my moveable type archives, random unused directories, etc. Well, somehow, I completely deleted my current page theme. Good news is that the entire theme is mirrored on /dev so it was only gone for a few minutes. Granted, I freaked out and had a panic attack. I thought I was going to have to start from scratch.
In other news, I set up Google Analytics a few months ago to start analyzing traffic that I generate with my site. Some of the things it’s discovered are quite interesting and I’m going to share them with you.
- 91.70% of people visiting my site have a broadband connection
- 49.44% of visits come from Firefox, 42.7% from IE, 7.3% from Safari and .56% from Netscape
- 82.27% of people use Windows, 15.17% use Macs and .56% use Linux
- 12% of visitors use 800×600 resolution on their screens, the rest use larger
- Most people visit on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, but I average 50 visits a day (49.57)
- I have people who read from eight different countries
- Most visitors stay on my page between 5 and 10 minutes.
- There are still people using Internet Explorer on a Mac
- My third highest referring URL is murphwormjim.blogspot.com
Ok, now after reading that, you’ve probably got some sort of ideas floating through your head. Well, here’s what I think about what Google says about my site…
- Sweet! That means that I can start posting larger images on my pages. It’s also a sharp contrast from just a few years ago when most visitors would have been using broadband.
- Who is still using Netscape? I mean c’mon, who does that. honestly…
- Windows still dominates, but Mac is making a dent. I bet I can guess who uses Linux…
- Get with the times, people. Set your screen resolution to at least 1024×768 (which is the most popular on my site anyway)
- People do read what I write. That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside. It also matches my average monthly unique hits (~1,500)
- Apparently some of my international friends do keep up with me. Interesting…
- Most people come to read one post or so. Some stay on the page for up to an hour or even more.
- IE on a Mac? It’s never worked well. How can people keep themselves so out-of-date
- Murph has no life
The most used Firefox version is the latest, which tells me that most people do keep their software and operating systems up-to-date.
Alright, that’s my uber-nerdom for the day. It’s just interesting to see what kind of traffic you generate on your sites. I do have to say that I account for about 1% of the traffic to my site because of development, proofreading, writing, etc.
Let’s see, what else is going on, you might ask. Well, a whole lot of nothing. After the weekend, I’ve been slowly getting the house back into order. Mojo left us about one and a half bottles of cheap-ass merlot which inevitably had a date with the PVC express out of our house. Neither Will nor I drink merlot, let alone cheap-ass wine. Someone left their toothbrush and deodorant in the bathroom. I would venture to guess it was Jimi since he forgot to pack everything that was necessary for the weekend, haha. Erin and I are going to be celebrating Valentine’s Day on Thursday since I worked at midnight on the 14th and she works tonight. I’ve got some plans made; I just hope she doesn’t think they’re lame.
Contracts for the summer have started appearing in mailboxes. Erin is going to be the Assistant Aquatics Director and Hayden is on my staff. That’s all I’ve heard so far, so if you know more, hit up the comment box and let me know. I will be the High Adventure Director, unless something has changed and they decide to make me Handicraft Director or something else. And by something else, I mean that I’ll be working somewhere else because I won’t be back as something other than High Adventure Director.
I’m not even going to talk about the recent publicity about Hoosier Basketball. I will, however, quote Peegs.com
Indiana Head Coach Mike Davis has long made public the fact that he has never felt fully embraced by the Hoosier fan base during his tenure in Bloomington. During Monday’s Big Ten teleconference the embattled coach went one step further. He suggested that the negativity surrounding his team is killing any hopes for a successful season and that he is running out of buttons to push to get his team to play hard. He also stated that the only solution may be a change at the top.
–T.J. King for Peegs.com
I think that’s about it for now. It’s nearly 6:00am and I’ve still got some internet surfing to do.
The End-of-the-Blog Rundown
Song of the Day — Queen Anne’s Revenge — Flogging Molly — The more I listen to their new album, the more I enjoy each song on it. You should definitely check it out.
Today’s Moment of Bliss — I had a hearty chuckle at the “Let Windows choose what’s best for your computer” option in the performance menu in computer properties… Like Windows knows best.
Hero of the Day — /dev
Villain of the Day — Myself for turning my alarm clock off in my sleep when I had it set so I could wake up and have dinner with Erin since it was Valentine’s Day. It’s a good thing I woke up around 11:00pm so I could make it to work at Midnight.
Current Mood — — Dazed
Until the next post…