Well, a lot has happened in my life since my last post, to say the least. The most notable occurrence in the last few months was the break-up between me and Erin. Needless to say, I was pretty torn up for a couple weeks, but things are good between us now. We’re back to being good friends and the like. For those of you who are wondering, the break-up was mutual — I almost broke things off with her in the beginning of May, but decided not to to see what would happen.
The last thing I’m going to say about the break-up is that we’re both much happier than we were when we were together. Don’t get me wrong, being with her was one of the best things that has ever happened in my life, and I’m glad it lasted as long as it did, but she and I have been loving the freedom of the post-Tom-and-Erin life.
Since the break-up, I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about the direction my life is going in and where I would like to be in five, and even ten years and I’ve come up with some thoughts that I’ll share. I haven’t really developed a plan yet except for the first two items; the rest will come in time.
My New Focus(es) in Life
- Friends — My first and most important focus is going to be re-connecting to old friends and continuing to build new friendships. A lot of awesome people have come out of the woodwork to help me deal with things the last few weeks and I just want to take things as they come and have a great time hanging out with them.
- Personal Health — I haven’t really been taking care of myself like I should the last six months or so. Granted, I lost some weight and did some working out, but nothing too substantial. I have a membership to the SRSC and I plan on using it more regularly, i.e. swimming every day on my lunch break. I also plan to eat healthier. I’m going to switch to a mostly vegetarian diet for the indefinite time period. I say mostly because I’ll still have a burger or chicken from time to time, but I’m not going to worry about trying to find meat to eat with every meal. I’ve been keeping this diet most the summer already and I’ve been pleased with how I feel, look, etc.
- Scouting — Being out at camp last week reminded me of how much I love this program and the people involved with it locally. I am going to find some ways to become more involved with both the Hoosier Trails Council and Crossroads of America Council. I don’t know how this is going to happen yet, but it WILL happen. I am also going to work on finding a way to get myself back to camp every summer starting next year and continuing indefinitely.
- Long-Term Career Goals — If you know me well, you know that I want to teach technology (programming, history of computing, etc.) at the high school level. I’m resolved to make this happen in the next five years. It’s going to take quite a bit of work on my part, but I’m ready for it.
- Short-Term Career Goals — I’m satisfied with IT Training & Education for the time being. It’s bringing in an ok amount of cash. I wish I could make more toward the $45,000 range, but as a starting job, it’s decent. I don’t plan on leaving the university until I’m ready to move on to high school, so I’ll probably stick with ITTE unless some absolutely amazing job opens up. ITTE gives me classroom teaching and lesson development experience, and I enjoy it for the most part.
You’ve probably noticed that there isn’t any mention of moving to Chicago in that wall o’ text. Since Erin and I broke up, I really have no means to move to Chicago at this time. I may or may not end up being in that area when I start teaching, but for now, it’s Bloomington for me.
Since I’m staying in Bloomington, I’ve found a roommate that I’m excited about — Jimi. He’ll be living with me in Erin’s old room and working at Starbucks.
I think that’s all I have for now, just wanted to update everyone on my life.
Song of the Day — Flying Horses — Dispatch
Quote of the Day — “Take a shower and shine your shoes. You’ve got no time to lose” — The General — Dispatch
Heroes of the Day — Too many to name, but they’re the ones who helped me get through the break-up. They know who they are and I would do (almost) anything for them.
Current Mood — — Content
Until the next post…